Despite the fact that we can buy plants, fruits and vegetables in the shops, many people prefer what grows naturally, and enjoy passing the time working in their gardens. Gardening can be a real and consuming passion, or equally a pain in the neck for those of us not blessed with green fingers. (It’s not innate, but don’t worry, it can be learned!). Whichever category you find yourself in, there are a few well guarded secrets that can help you out. Almost unheard of, these easy and surprising tips could make all the difference!
1) Put a coffee filter at the bottom of a plant pot, so that the soil stays in place and doesn’t block the drainage holes.
Find more surprising uses for coffee filters here.
2) Are you stuck for space? Go for a vertical garden with a shoe organiser. Cheap and clever!
3) To water your plants while you are away, roll some sheets of tissue paper and moisten them using a glass full of water. It will serve as a type of wick that will gradually soak up water and release it into the plants.
4) To stop animals from trampling your garden (yes, we’re looking at you, next-door’s tom cat), plant plastic forks near your precious plants, which won’t injure the animals but will keep them at bay.
5) Say goodbye to slugs and other pests by crushing egg shells and spreading them around your plants.
It will also provide calcium to your plants. Find some more tips for re-using egg shells here.