We tend to think that our granite surfaces are indestructible. But in reality, in order to make them last as long as possible, we need to look after them with the right products. The wrong cleaning agent can make granite lose its brilliance, while the right one will not only keep it clean, but also help it remain in perfect condition for years to come. And the good news is that you can make it yourself, using products you may already have in your kitchen! All the ingredients are fairly non-toxic and inexpensive.
What you need:
- 250 mls water
- 250 mls vinegar
- A half a grapefruit
- 15 mls washing up liquid
- A clean and empty spray flask
1) Squeeze the grapefruit and collect the juice. Cut the peels into rough pieces.
2) Mix all of the ingredients together and add the grapefruit peels.
3) Leave it to stand for around half an hour (to allow the grapefruit to really penetrate the mixture).
4) Strain it to remove the peels and pour it into the spray flask.
And there you go! Your cleaning product is ready to use, the same as any other cleaner. It is effective enough to remove bacteria, but gentle enough not to damage the granite.