If you open the dishwasher with a clothes peg over your nose, or find yourself trying to break the record for holding your breath, it must be due to an unpleasant smell coming out of it. It’s not rare for food residues to remain in the dishwasher and naturally they release an odour. But it is possible to stop this from happening with a simple tip that could be even more useful than you may think.
What you need:
- A squeezed lemon (after you have used the juice)
What to do:
1) In between two washes, take what is left over after you have squeezed the juice from a lemon.
2) Pop the ends of the lemon into the dishwasher. This will prevent the formation of strong odours.
3) Once you need to turn on the dishwasher, you can leave the lemon pieces in there: the plates will come out clean, shiny and smelling good. (If there is still some pulp inside the lemon, put it into a knotted nylon stocking to make sure the pulp doesn’t go everywhere).
4) All you have to do is replace the lemon for next time.